How Will I Know When I Need to Replace My Roof?
Older roofing shingles and wood shakes typically have a 15- to 30-year lifespan depending on the shingles’ quality, the location and tree cover of your home, and how well the roof was installed originally. Direct sunlight, weather/wind, and poor roof deck ventilation are rough on Bay Area roofs.
Though the Atlas and GAF shingles we use today have lifetime warranties, they didn’t a decade ago. We tell our customers that 12 years is a good rule of thumb to go by. At that point, check for these warning signs:
- Curling shingles
- Loss of the asphalt granulation (looks like bald spots)
- Evidence of leaking on your ceilings
- Cracked or discolored interior drywall (painted or wallpapered)
- Decaying shingles
- Missing shingles
- Visible cracks
- Wind damage
- Broken or damaged shingles
- Rusted or missing flashing
If a residential roof is over 15 years old, we recommend you call us out for a look. Sometimes damage isn’t visible to the untrained eye on the ground, and catching it early can avoid expensive interior repairs in the future.
Is it Possible I Could Get Away with a Repair Rather than a Full Replacement?
This depends on whether the roofing shingles are past their prime or the original roofing contractor installed part of or the whole roof system improperly. Perfectly good roofing shingles can be repaired if the damage hasn’t affected their integrity. If your roof shingles are old and decaying, it’s economically smarter to replace the entire roof.
How Much Will a New Roof Cost Me?
Several factors go into determining the cost of your new roof. They include the quality and professionalism of your roofing contractor; the brand, type and grade of roofing shingle you select; the size of your roof and the shape and slope of your roofline.
Don’t choose a roofing contractor on cost alone. Price is a factor, but not the only factor you should consider. Quality roofing material and contractor workmanship have value. Hiring the cheapest roofing contractor could cost more in the long run when you consider the cost to repair sub-par roofing and the damage it causes.
Get a roofing estimate for an accurate idea. Our estimates are convenient, fair, no obligation and you don’t have to be home.
Will My Gutters and Downspouts Have to be Replaced?
If your gutters and downspouts are in good shape, our roofing contractors will work around them. To avoid damaging them, we don’t remove and reinstall them once your roof is complete. If your gutters are in relatively good shape, but need minor repair, we can provide this service too. Summer Breeze Roofing is a full-service roofing contractor.
How Long Will It Take to Install My New Roof?
Of course there are variables that affect all roofing projects, like weather, whether or not there is a second layer to remove, and more. But typically, Signature Roofing’s contractors are completely finished with your new roof—from removing the old roof to clean up—in three or four days.
Three crews are involved—roof removal, roof installation and gutters. Roofing vendors deliver sheeting and shingles. Our trained roofing contractors stay on schedule to coincide with two or three required city inspections. It takes a lot of coordination and Summer Breeze Roofing company are pros.
What Should I Do to Prepare for The Roof Installation?
Roof replacement and roofing repair is messy and noisy process. Consider going somewhere else for about two to three hours once roofing contractors start removing the old roofing shingles to avoid all the noise. Keep pets in mind too. There’s no way around it. But we do all we can to minimize hassle and inconvenience during the roofing process.
- If your garage doesn’t have a ceiling, our roofers will place tarps to keep debris from falling into your garage. After the solid decking is installed, we’ll remove the tarps and use a blower to clean out the dust.
- Park your cars in the street. The roof removal trucks need to back up to the house. You’ll save your tires from nails and your car from dust and falling debris.
- Use common sense and protect any item that you would be upset about if it broke. Many contractors tell you to remove pictures from walls, chandeliers from the ceiling, knickknacks from shelves, etc. However, we have never heard a customer say that anything fell off their walls or shelves. Seems like a lot of work for a problem that we have never experienced.
- If you have a paver or some other form of decorative driveway, we will cover it with plywood to protect the surface from roofing vehicles and falling shingle debris.
- If you have a swimming pool, close the pool cover. If you don’t have a cover, we’ll tarp it too. Roofing debris can stain plaster finishes.
What if There's a Problem with My New Roof? Like a Leak?
If there is a problem with your roof after we’ve left, give us a call immediately at 727-333-7155.
Have a Question?
If you don’t see your question, feel free to call us or send us and email. Or just ask your question when you tell us about your roof needs on our free estimate form at the bottom of this page.